LEED Platinum Transit Facility / Tours
South Bend Public Transportation Corporation’s Emil “Lucky” Reznik Administration, Maintenance and Operations Facility, located at 1401 S. Lafayette Boulevard, opened in 2010. The facility is certified LEED Platinum, the highest level of achievement. This is the first LEED Platinum transit facility in the country.
What is LEED?
Leadership in Energy and Environment Design (LEED) is a voluntary certification program developed by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC). LEED measures sustainability in six key areas. These standards promote strategies that improve overall performance. They can be applied to any kind of building, from existing structures to new construction.
This facility allows Transpo to become a leader in public transportation by setting a new benchmark for transit facilities.
Key LEED Areas
- The facility was constructed on a brownfield site, land reclaimed and cleaned up from a previous use, avoiding the need to build on undeveloped land.
- The roof reflects light to help keep the building from becoming a concentrated hot spot in the outdoor environment, reducing its heat island effect.
- An open grid pavement system (pervious concrete) helps minimize the amount of storm water runoff and erosion.
- Bicycle parking along with shower and changing facilities are provided for employees to promote biking to work.
- Efficient landscaping increases overall water retention.
- Plant selections eliminate the need for irrigation, resulting in water use reduction.
- Native plant species throughout the site help restore and protect the soil.
- Transpo reduces its indoor water consumption by using low-flow and sensor-activated fixtures in restrooms and work areas.
Energy & Atmosphere
- Solar panels provide on-site renewable energy for some of Transpo’s power requirements.
- Energy use is constantly monitored to gauge conservation throughout the facility.
- The cooling system runs without the use of ozone-depleting chemicals.
- The HVAC system is assisted by geothermal energy.
Materials & Resources
- Pre and post-consumer recycled materials are used throughout the facility.
- Transpo sourced regional materials, which were extracted, harvested, recovered or manufactured within 500 miles of the project site.
- Most of the wood in the facility is certified in accordance with the Forrest Stewardship Council Principles and Criteria.
- Recyclable materials are collected on site including paper, glass, plastic, cardboard, metal and batteries.
Indoor Environmental Quality
- A monitoring system measures carbon dioxide concentration and outdoor air delivery to ensure proper ventilation.
- Employees have access to natural daylight and outdoor views in most areas of the building.
- Low-emitting materials chosen for the facility reduce the level of harmful Volatile Organic Compounds, and improve the indoor air.
- The ventilation system brings in outdoor air to help keep indoor air fresh.
Innovation & Design Process
- As buses are washed, a recycling system captures and reuses the water, reducing the need for fresh water.
- Transpo’s Sustainable Operations & Maintenance Policies ensure that sustainable practices are continued.
- Open space is maximized amounting to at least 40% of the site area.
As part of the LEED educational component, Transpo offers facility tours. As you tour through the facility, the GREENLINE highlights the LEED components with signage throughout the building. The signage continues in the outdoor public spaces.
To learn more or schedule a tour for your group, please click HERE to contact Transpo.
|Explore our LEED Platinum Facility|
RIDER ALERT: Visit Transpo's Detour Page for a list of all detours throughout the system.
Buy Fare Cards
Routes and Schedules
- 1 Madison/Mishawaka
- 3A Portage
- 3B Portage
- 4 Lincolnway/Airport
- 5 North Michigan
- 6 South Michigan
- 7 Notre Dame/UP Mall
- 7A Notre Dame Midnight Express
- 8 Miami/Scottsdale
- 9 Northside/Mishawaka
- 10 Western
- 11 Southside/Mishawaka
- 12 Rum Village
- 12/14 Rum Village/Sample
- 13 Corby/Town & Country
- 14 Sample/Mayflower
- 15A UP Mall/Mishawaka via Main
- 15B UP Mall/Mishawaka via Grape
- 16 Blackthorn Express/II
- 17 Sweep