Safety & Security
Public Transportation is among the safest ways to travel. We are focused on the safety of our passengers and employees at all times.
Removal of Passengers
Transpo supervisors, security staff or law enforcement personnel may remove passengers for not adhering to Transpo policies. You may be removed from the bus if you are taking part in lewd or illegal activity, if your behavior is loud, boisterous or otherwise detrimental or disruptive to other passengers.
Please be aware of your surroundings and alert Transpo personnel or law enforcement authorities to any suspicious activity, including individuals:
- In an unauthorized or restricted area
- Loitering, staring or watching employees and/or passengers
- Visible signs of nervousness
- Abandoning items and quickly departing
- Acting disorderly or disturbing others
- Photographing equipment or secure areas
- Carrying a weapon or appearing to have a weapon
- Inappropriate clothing that is excessively baggy or too heavy in warm weather
If you see suspicious or illegal activity, please report it immediately.
Unattended items may simply be lost or left behind. Look for the following characteristics and report any suspicious items:
- Placement in an out-of-the-way location
- Individuals in the act of abandoning a package or item and hastily departing
- Unusual attached batteries, wires, tanks, bottles or bags that may contact chemicals
- A suspicious cloud, mist, gas, vapor, odor or fluid
- Nearby individuals showing signs of illness or distress
Evacuation and Emergency Procedures
Transit evacuation is rare and should only take place by transit officials. In the case of an emergency, please remain calm and follow the instructions of your bus driver.
Here are some simple tips to follow should you need to evacuate a bus:
- Look for the nearest accessible exit – it may be an emergency door or window
- Look for others who may need assistance, particularly children and the elderly
- Listen to announcements and follow directions
Safe Place Locations
Every Transpo fixed route bus and South Street Station are Safe Place locations.
Safe Place locations are a network of businesses, fast food restaurants, fire stations, buses and other public places to provide kids with immediate access to help.
Anyone under the age of 18 who is in a crisis situation and needs help can simply notify the bus driver or South Street Station security or information booth attendant that they need assistance. Transpo employees will get them in touch with Safe Place staff. For more information on Safe Place locations, please contact the Youth Service Bureau at 574.235.9396 or visit www.ysbsjc.org.
|Explore our LEED Platinum Facility|
RIDER ALERT: Visit Transpo's Detour Page for a list of all detours throughout the system.
Buy Fare Cards
Routes and Schedules
- 1 Madison/Mishawaka
- 3A Portage
- 3B Portage
- 4 Lincolnway/Airport
- 5 North Michigan
- 6 South Michigan
- 7 Notre Dame/UP Mall
- 7A Notre Dame Midnight Express
- 8 Miami/Scottsdale
- 9 Northside/Mishawaka
- 10 Western
- 11 Southside/Mishawaka
- 12 Rum Village
- 12/14 Rum Village/Sample
- 13 Corby/Town & Country
- 14 Sample/Mayflower
- 15A UP Mall/Mishawaka via Main
- 15B UP Mall/Mishawaka via Grape
- 16 Blackthorn Express/II
- 17 Sweep